Planning a trip and navigating a foreign country where people speak a different language can present a challenge. Costa Rica has the advantage of being a politically stable, democratic country with a modest infrastructure. An English speaking tourist is also likely to hear spoken English throughout Costa Rica. Investments in tourism over the last twenty years have created an abundance of hotels and tourist attractions.
Sexual tourism, however presents some special problems in Costa Rica. Although the custom of English speaking gentlemen coming for the attention of young ladies has long been common in Costa Rica, recent economic and social change have changed the rules of the game.
A romantic escape to San José requires advance planning in order to avoid these pitfalls.
• Choice of hotel will be far from social venues, in terms of cost and travel time
• Hotel will not allow foreign gentlemen to entertain female guests in their room
• Little or no possibility of casual sex with girls encountered among higher end bars and restaurants in the suburbs
In Latin America, the bar is a place more often to bring a date than pick one up. Also, decades of foreign gentleman coming to Costa Rica in search of easy sex has created a social backlash. No matter how young or in the “game” a gentleman may be the stigma of a foreign boyfriend who evaporates overnight is a strong one to overcome.
The upshot is that any short term visitor to San José should look to the pickup bars, night clubs and massage parlors that are described in this guide.
In general, the best approach to planning a trip to Costa Rica is as follows.
• Consider travel requirements, schedule and conditions for date of departure
• Determine length of stay, budget and possible overnight excursions and day trips
• Purchase airfare after checking different dates, and websites
• Contact and make a hotel reservation using list of recommended hotels
• Book day trips and activities either in advance or after arrival
If you plan to be in San José on business or for reasons other than romantic intentions, then please consult the chapter titled, Quick Guide. This chapter is designed to help a traveler plan their vacation with romantic and touristic intentions.