If you are traveling to Costa Rica, Panama or Colombia then you never have to worry about trying to give a taxi directions again. As long as you can find your destination on Google Maps, then you can get there quickly, inexpensively and without having to speak a word of Spanish with Uber. Although relatively new in Costa Rica, Uber has become well established in Colombia, particularly in second cities such as Medellin and Cali.
In Costa Rica, an Uber from the airport to downtown San Jose costs about $15. In Medellin, an Uber from the airport to the El Poblado neighborhood runs about $22. In either case, the Uber fare is just marginally cheaper than a public taxi. However, using Uber means that the driver comes directly to your GPS location and takes you to a destination that you indicate on your Uber smart phone app. Since, Uber uses Google Maps, it’s very easy to have a car pick you up just about anywhere and take you to your destination, hassle free.
Tips for Using Uber
- Uber is an App. So, install the Uber App using the Google Play Store on Android on Apple Store on Apple.
- Uber is cashless and you do not pay the driver. Uber bills your credit or debit card, which you only have to enter once into the application.
- You need an Internet connection to use Uber. Generally that’s going to mean having local 3G or 4G Service. Wifi will work, assuming that it’s available when you need it.
- Uber can find you just about anywhere. It’s great for getting around at night because you can just wait inside a night club or bar for your Uber arrive and avoid having to stand on the street and deal with street people.
- Make sure the slider is set to Uber X if you want a cheap rate. If you move it to Uber Black, then you will pay more for a higher class of service.
- Use the Uber fare estimator, which will lock in your destination and determine the price of a trip in advance.
- Uber is best for trips of at least 10 minutes. If you are just going a few blocks, then a taxi may be faster and cheaper.